During the spread of the coronavirus COVID-19, many of us have taken bold steps to keep our households sanitary and safe — including investing in powerful disinfectants approved to combat the spread of this unpredictable emerging pathogen. While many strong disinfectants like bleach and alcohol present the best chance for stopping the transmission of COVID in our homes, these chemicals can also pose a risk to pets.
Looking to cut down on the threat of COVID-19 in your home, while keeping your furry friends safe and healthy? You’ve come to the right place! At Sweeping Dimensions, delivering pet-friendly and environmentally sound cleaning solutions has always been a top priority.
Pets and Disinfectants: What You Need to Know
Unfortunately, many of the disinfecting products that are able to kill coronavirus are the same ones that can make cats and dogs feel sick, if ingested — including bleach, hydrogen peroxide, and alcohol-based disinfectants. In addition to being toxic to our furry friends, some alkaline solutions (including bleach) can cause skin and eye irritation for animals, just as they do for people.
Remember that animals love to explore with their noses and mouths, and always love to sneak into areas where they’re not supposed to be. As a result, dogs and cats may mistake cleaning products for food and water, and may ingest them without realizing the dangers.
Even accidental exposure can be dangerous — for example, if a cat walks across a puddle of bleach, and then self-grooms, she may accidentally transmit the chemicals into her eyes and mouth, causing illness or irritation.
So, what can you do to help protect your fur babies? During the era of COVID-19 and beyond, it’s important for pet owners to:
Recognize the Signs of Pet Poisoning
While we all hope and pray that it will never come to it, it’s important to be able to take action if you suspect that your pet has been exposed to a poison. If you notice symptoms in your pet such as:
- Shortness of breath
- Stomach or abdominal pain
- Irritated paw pads and skin
- Sluggishness and decreased appetite
…. do not hesitate to get help immediately. In addition to reaching out to your trusted local veterinarian, you may also reach out to the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435, or the Pet Poison Helpline at (855) 764-7661.
Take Steps to Keep Pets Safe Before, During, and After Disinfecting
The need to disinfect our households is very real — especially during these unpredictable times. Fortunately, there are many common sense actions you can take to help minimize the risk to your furry friends:
- When not in use, keep all cleaning agents in a safe area that is out-of-reach to pets. Consider using a closet or upper cabinet with a pet-proof latch or lock.
- Dilute disinfecting products before use. Remember that concentrated disinfectants can also cause irritation and illness in people. Read all package instructions for safety information, and do not use more of the chemical than is necessary.
- When you are cleaning and disinfecting, keep pets out of the room until surfaces have time to dry. Consider briefly securing your pet in their crate or in a safe room in your home.
- In case of a spill, clean up immediately, and take action to make sure your pets stay away from any open chemicals.
- When using a disinfectant, make sure that the room is open and well-ventilated. This might include opening exterior windows and using fans to help surfaces dry more quickly.
- Immediately discard used wipes or paper towels in a secure, covered trash can.
- Thoroughly wash mops, buckets, and reusable towels and gloves after use.
- Use pet-friendly cleaners on your pet’s toys and crate; use a gentle laundry detergent and hot water to clean your pet’s blankets and bedding, and never harsh chemicals or disinfectants. Check out this guide for some popular, pet-friendly cleansers.
- Always thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water after using bleach, hydrogen peroxide, or other harsh disinfectants.
Looking to Keep Your Household Safe and Comfortable? We’re Here for You
Whatever challenges life brings, you can rest assured that Sweeping Dimensions Cleaning Service will always be here to help.
Our teams of professionally trained and uniformed cleaning experts have the care, knowledge, and attention to detail it takes to keep the most important people and pets in your life safe, comfortable, and healthy. We offer flexible time windows, unparalleled attention to detail, and can bring all of the cleaning supplies needed to sanitize your home or workplace, including a variety of pet-safe and environmentally-friendly products.
In fact, we make it a high priority to always stay on top of the best cleaning products and methods, so we can provide the best possible service to our clients and do our part to eliminate the possibility of germs and viruses. As the coronavirus outbreak continues, we have invested in powerful new cleaning agents, including non-bleach disinfectants, which can offer real results for anyone who doesn’t want bleach in their home.
Interested in learning more about our preferred products and methods? Don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions!
Remember, at SDCS, we’re always here and ready to make a sweeping effort to make life less stressful! Ready to get in touch or receive your free service estimate? Contact us online today, or keep the conversation going on social media, where we’ll continue to share all the safety information, resources, and news that Chicago’s animal lovers need to know in these ever-changing times.