Looking to stay productive and engaged, even when the winter weather outside is positively frightful? You’ve come to the right place!
Here at Sweeping Dimensions, we were born and bred in the Chicago area — which means that we know that the winter months can actually be a great time to get things done, even when snow and ice make it difficult to go outdoors for more than a few minutes at a time.
When dipping temperatures and mountains of slush put the damper on heading outside, turn your focus to the interior of your home, look around with fresh eyes, and start building a list of all the home projects and DIY efforts you can make before spring rolls back around. You’d be surprised by how much you can get done around your space, even when it’s too cold to go out!
Need a little help getting your wintertime to-do list ready? We’re more than happy to provide a little bit of inspiration. Here are three easy DIY home projects to add beauty, function, and charm to your home, even in the middle of a frosty winter:
Reorganize and Add New Storage
A little bit of cabin fever is quite common in the wintertime, especially when sheets of ice and whipping winds trap you indoors for days at a time. As you spend more time inside, you’re bound to start paying more attention to all of the stuff you have lying around — and all of the ways you’re currently keeping your clutter in check (or not).
The winter months can be a great chance to go through your home in order to declutter, tidy up, and get organized! Start by taking an inventory of all of the things taking up space in your home, working from room to room, and then category by category (for instance, clothes, toys, linens, knick knacks, etc.). Divide your things into piles, sorting by “keep,” “donate,” and “discard.” Before long, you’ll have purged a lot of unwanted stuff — and, potentially, freed up plenty of new space!
Use this newfound room to get organized. Spend some time during the winter browsing creative storage solutions for every room of your house. There are lots of ideas out there, many of which you may be able to put into practice in absolutely no time — from bringing in organizers like lazy susans and hanging baskets, to building out shelving in your pantries and closets, to creating seamless hidden spaces for kids’ toys and games.
The winter months are a prime time for self-reflection. Many of us start to think about how we can be more generous during the holidays, and use the New Year to reflect on the past and set resolutions for the future. Along the way, you may start to think about how you can lessen your environmental impact and become more green.
Fortunately, the winter season is also a great time to start making swaps and experimenting with sustainable products and household choices! There are all sorts of steps you can take to make your home cleaner and greener during the frostiest months of the year, including:
- Choosing more environmentally friendly cleaning products. At Sweeping Dimensions, we advocate for buying what you love, above what happens to be on sale. During the winter, take an inventory of your cleaning products and think about green swaps you can make, such as choosing concentrated cleaning solutions, or opting for brands with less packaging or environmentally friendly ingredients.
- Purchasing reusable products. Out with single-use plastics! During the winter, start strategizing about how to integrate reusables into your home, including cloth shopping bags, washable bamboo “paper” towels, Magic Erasers, and metallic water bottles.
- Becoming more mindful about how you dispose of goods. Start learning more about composting, and be sure to use your winter free time to properly sort through your refuse and separate trash and recycling. There are all sorts of guidelines you can learn online, without ever having to brave the winter weather!
- Reducing your energy use. Turn off lights when not in use, lower the temperature in your home, and search online for more energy efficient systems and appliances, ranging from smart programmable thermostats to low-flow toilets and shower heads.
- Learning more and giving where you can. Spend your time indoors doing research into causes that matter to you, and find new, creative ways to volunteer or give back. There’s never a bad time to start making a difference — and you can probably make an enormous impact without ever changing out of your fuzzy slippers!
Clean Appliances and Fixtures
During the holidays, your home’s most important appliances and systems probably got quite the workout. Why not spend the rest of the winter giving your home the TLC it deserves?
You can achieve a seriously deep clean by spending some time targeting areas you may frequently overlook. In particular, take time to concentrate on cleaning the machines that clean for you, such as your washing machine and dishwasher. You can find our guides to cleaning these all-important appliances right here.
You may also want to spare a few hours to tackle your kitchen’s messiest spots, including the inside and outside of your oven, the interior of your fridge, and the walls and rotating tray of your microwave. In the bathroom, spend some time scrubbing your faucets, drains, shower heads, and handles, to make sure your important fixtures are good to go, all season long. The more attention you can spare on these little things in winter, the more you can enjoy them in the golden spring and summer months to come!
Ready for a Little Wintertime Help? Give Us a Call!
Here at Sweeping Dimensions, our primary goal is to make cleaning less stressful for our clients — even in the frostiest, chilliest, windiest days of the year!
This winter, we can help take care of your spaces, so you can spend more time focusing on what matters most — enjoying more fun and free time with your family and friends.
We also believe in passing along our green cleaning knowledge, whenever we can. We love to talk all things cleaning and organizing, including the strategies that can make taking care of your home a more sustainable and enjoyable practice. The more people we can bring together in our mission for a greener world, the better off our oceans, lakes, and rivers will be!
Have any questions? Want to start making the most of winter in your Chicago home? Don’t hesitate to reach out today for your free service estimate!