Homesharing and vacation rental services such as Airbnb have completely revolutionized the way we travel. Now, instead of having to shell out for an expensive hotel, guests can stay in the comfort of a real home, and truly experience what it’s like to live like a local. At the same time, hosts can rent out some or all of their space, in order to meet fascinating new people and earn an extra income.
But being a host on Airbnb also comes with a number of important responsibilities and jobs. Most important among them? Keeping your listing clean, tidy, and ready for each and every new guest to stop by!
Let’s dig into why it’s so important to clean your Airbnb or vacation rental – and then help you decide the best strategy for keeping your listing clean, whether that means bringing on a professional cleaning service or handling things solo.
The Importance of Cleaning Your Airbnb
So, why is it so important to make sure that your Airbnb or vacation rental listing is clean, tidy, and refreshed between each and every guest? Here are just a few reasons why it’s vital that you focus on cleaning your listing for every booking:
You’ll Get Better Guest Reviews
You want people to leave you positive notices, so that more guests will feel safe booking with you in the future. The higher ratings you get for cleanliness, the more appealing your rental will be, and the more guests you’ll be able to bring in moving forward. You’d be surprised just how much past ratings and reviews can strongly influence your future business – for better, or for worse!
Vacation Rental Companies Have High Standards
Airbnb and other homesharing and vacation rental companies want to make sure that the millions of travelers who use their services will be satisfied with their choice of accommodations, every time. As a result, these companies have extremely high standards for cleanliness. Listings that frequently get dinged for not being clean enough may even face penalties from Airbnb and other services. Airbnb, for example, has minimum cleaning requirements for hosts. If you fail to meet them, there could be consequences.
You’ll Get More Time Back for the Other Important Things You Have to Do
When you list your home on Airbnb or a similar service, there are a lot of responsibilities you’ll have to take care of. Coordinating your schedule with the guest, dropping off keys, and conducting your business on the company’s online platform are all “must-dos,” for example – and these are all jobs above and beyond your day to day, which probably includes cooking, cleaning, taking care of pets and family, and balancing work or school commitments of your own. In short? The more you focus on getting cleaning off of your plate, the easier it will be to turn your attention to everything else you have to do.
Professional Vs. DIY
So, now that we’ve discussed the importance of keeping your homeshare listing or vacation rental clean, it’s time for the other big question – to go it alone, or to bring on professional help?
Certainly, there are pros and cons to each option. For example, taking on cleaning responsibilities alone may help you save a little bit of money. However, cleaning on your own will mean more time and elbow grease, spent cleaning surfaces, doing laundry, making beds, and scrubbing bathrooms and kitchens, which can be exhausting – and keep you from many of the other important tasks you’ll have to perform as an Airbnb host.
So, with all that being said? In our experience, most Airbnb hosts prefer to have a professional cleaning service tend to their listing. It’s just easier, safer, more effective, and more convenient to turn this job over to the pros, for any number of reasons:
- You’ll save time. With a professional cleaner, all you have to do is set the appointment. Instead of taking hours of your day to inspect and clean your listing, you’ll be able to focus on other things, while your cleaning service tackles the “dirty work.”
- Your listing will look better. Even if you’re a fastidious cleaner, it’s easy to overlook spots in your Airbnb or vacation rental. A professional cleaner, on the other hand, will be trained to the highest levels, able to spot and address problems you might overlook, equipped with tools and equipment that you may not have on hand.
- Your cleaner will get to know your space. Is there one spot in your kitchen that always seems to be a problem, no matter how hard you try to clean it? Is the guest room way off on its own? Do you have a special piece of art or furniture that needs delicate treatment? When you have a professional crew who is familiar with the ins and outs of your Airbnb, you can get things down to a science. Once there’s a routine in place, each cleaning will just get easier and more efficient.
- Your cleaner can perform deep cleanings. In addition to routine housekeeping between guest bookings, you can also leverage your cleaning service to perform thorough, deep cleanings, above and beyond what you may be able to accomplish on your own. This may include cleaning hard to reach places, scrubbing baseboards and crown moldings, and cleaning the oven, the fridge, and other appliances.
- You’ll have someone to keep watch over your listing. Is your Airbnb almost out of toilet paper or paper towels? Is the welcome mat missing from the front steps? Did one of your guests leave a mark on the countertop or wall? With a professional cleaner in your corner, you have trained eyes and ears on the lookout for all these little things and more. With your permission, your cleaning service can notify you of any damages that a guest may have caused, or report if you’re running low on an important supply that your next guests will need.
- You may save money. Airbnb and other hosting services allow you to pass a reasonable cleaning fee along to guests, which can make it even more affordable to bring on a professional cleaning service. In addition to saving time, you may also be able to schedule appointments and make payments online, making things even more efficient, and cost-effective. What’s more, many cleaning services, including Sweeping Dimensions, often offer promotions and gift cards, making payments a breeze.
About Sweeping Dimensions Cleaning Service
Here at Sweeping Dimensions, we always make a sweeping effort to make life less stressful.
And, for Airbnb hosts around Chicagoland, that means that providing cleaning services for short term stay and corporate apartments is no problem! Just let us know when the check out/check in dates are, and then rest easy, knowing your guests will always arrive to a spotless rental.
We offer flexible time windows, to make scheduling your next cleaning a breeze, every time. Our professionally trained and uniformed teams are held to the highest standards for professionalism, efficiency, and attention to detail, and we’ll bring all of the cleaning supplies necessary to clean your listing, with an emphasis on green, environmentally sound cleaning solutions.
Being a host on Airbnb should be fun, fulfilling, and lucrative – not a hassle! With SDCS, you’ll have total peace of mind, knowing that your job will be handled by true professionals. We can assist with deep cleanings and routine housekeeping, including:
- Changing sheets and making beds
- Sweeping, mopping, and vacuuming floors
- Washing and organizing dishes
- Cleaning bathroom and kitchen surfaces, including countertops, mirrors, bathtubs, door handles, etc.
- Cleaning outdoor areas, such as decks or patios
Have any more questions? Be sure to check out our FAQ page to learn even more about what sets Sweeping Dimensions apart. Ready to get started? Drop us a line today for your free service estimate!