We’ve all been there. It’s the end of a busy workday, when suddenly you get a call or a text from a family member that goes a little like this:
“Hey. Bringing over somebody for dinner tonight. Hope it’s cool.”
“Of course it’s cool,” you respond. “The more the merrier!”
Well, that’s what you say on the outside. On the inside, however, you’re freaking out a little bit, because you know the house is a mess, and definitely not ready for company.
The first step to getting your house ready for unexpected guests? Let that burst of panic die down. After that, it’s time to look around your space with clear eyes, and figure out what your course of action will be.
Need help coming up with a plan of attack for cleaning before company arrives? The experts at Sweeping Dimensions can help!
Here are a few tried-and-true ways to help present your home in the best light for houseguests, even if you’re short on time:
Get Rid of Clutter
When you’re pressed for time, getting rid of clutter can help make your house feel more presentable. Fortunately, you don’t need to be too thorough – after all, time is of the essence!
Here are a few quick ways to cut down on clutter:
- Place all dirty dishes in the dishwasher (or the oven, if you really need a hiding place)
- Gather up loose toys, school work, and other items and stash them in an out-of-the-way bedroom. Feel free to place a “DO NOT ENTER” sign on the door, if you’re worried about a snooping guest finding your mess
- Fluff any cushions or pillows on your furniture
- Stack or straighten all books and magazines
Clean the Kitchen and Bathrooms
You’d be surprised how much a speedy clean can help freshen up your home’s bath and kitchen areas.
Here are a few ideas to spruce up these important spots before your last minute guests arrive:
- Clean the toilet bowl and seat… and don’t forget to flush!
- Wipe down your countertops and cabinets, to get rid of obvious fingerprints and smudges
- Use a microfiber towel and glass cleaner to quickly polish up your glass and mirrors
- If possible, replace the hand and bath towels in the bedroom and kitchen with fresh ones
Enhance Your Entryway
First impressions really do matter – so, if you have the time, focus on the first area your guests will see when they step into your home.
Here are a few quick ways to clean up your entryway:
- Get rid of any loose shoes or toys hanging out by your front door
- Organize or remove any mail
- Use a vacuum or broom to clean the floors in your front hallway. If you’re really in a hurry, be sure to focus your time on the first place your guests will see, and the room where they will likely spend most of their time
Appeal to the Senses
When in doubt… deceive! OK, OK, we don’t mean that you should lie or cheat. But there are a few tricks you can use to make your house seem more welcoming or comfortable instantly.
The secret? You need to appeal to your guest’s senses. Here are a few ways to do just that:
- Light up scented candles throughout your home
- Pop a quick batch of instant cookies into the oven (this is a favorite trick of Realtors all around the country)
- Guide your guests’ eyes by adding quick pops of color in strategic places – maybe by setting down some flowers, or tossing a throw blanket over a couch or chair
- Play a little bit of music to help set the right atmosphere
These are just a few ideas to help get you started! The next time you’re under pressure, we’re sure you’ll find all sorts of creative new ways to clean your home in a hurry.
And remember – if you’re looking for a more permanent cleaning solution, Sweeping Dimensions can help! We always make a sweeping effort to make life less stressful. Whether you’re looking for light housekeeping, heavy duty cleaning, or a one-time service for a special occasion, our professional home cleaning services can take away the stress of keeping your house clean, and give you back time for the most important things in your life.
With a professionally trained staff, all of our cleanings are fully customizable to meet your needs. We bring all of the cleaning supplies and equipment needed to clean your home, with a focus on green, environmentally sound cleaning products.
Ready to get started? Get in touch today for your free estimate!